Thursday, June 30, 2011

Rueben's Stir Fry Bok Choy with BBQ'd Pork Butt


I was touching bases with a number of BBQ blog sites early this morning and got myself all worked up looking at all the fantastic food pictures and reading up on their recipes. If you have never looked at Cowgirl's Country Life and HomesickTexan BBQ and food blog sites you are missing something. Just one look and it's like instant hunger. They are super talented and creative cooks, let me tell you. And, as I mentioned, I fell victim to the curse.

Well lucky for me I had some leftover
bbq'd pork butt shish kabob chunks. So I decided I would stir fry it up with some vegetables that I had on hand.

Here is what I did...


Here are the basic ingredients, one red onion, two heads of bok choy, 1 1/2 cups of sliced bbq'd pork butt shish kabob, 1 julienned carrot, 3 cloves of minced garlic.

This is how I slice the onions (stir fry fashion).

The garlic is minced but not too fine.

The carrot is juilienned about 2-3 inches long.

I separate the bok choy leaves from the stem and cut the larger pieces in half. I use 2 of these pictured.

The bbq'd pork butt, previously skewered and in 1 inch cubes, are sliced into smaller pieces as shown.

I like to use a wok for stir frying. That's what they're made for.

I saute the onions first, in a little olive oil, until they are caramelized. Then remove them and place into a bowl.

Next, I stir fry the pork butt and carrots in one tablespoon of olive oil and a dash of Worcestershire sauce and a  pinch of basic rib rub. I set the pork and carrots aside in another bowl.

I then stir fry the boy choy and garlic in a half of teaspoon of olive oil, 3 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. I also add 2 pinches of basic rib rub. After the leaves soften just a little I add the rest of the ingredients and stir for about 1 minute over medium heat reducing some of the liquid.  I add salt and black pepper to taste.

When I stir fry, I like to stir fry the ingredients separately so that I can control the taste and consistency of each one.

And here is the final product.

This is very quick and easy to make. You can adjust just about any ingredient you like to your individual taste. That's the beauty of stir fry. It really is just another method of cooking your leftovers.

I am sure you will like the overall flavor and that of the individual ingredients. With this recipe, no one individual ingredient overpowers the other.

Enjoy!!

Until next time....

4 comments:

Curtis said...

Many people turning vegetarian in these days. This has motivated many cooking creator to come up with tempting vegetarian recipes for bbq. The vegetarian BBQ recipes are really worth experimenting. This blog gives good information regarding this.

Rueben said...

Thank you for commenting on this post Curtis. Yes, as you said, the push for vegetarian cuisine is becoming more popular. I checked out your site. I like what I read. Hope to see you back here.
Enjoy your weekend.

Bennette Brou said...

Hafa Adai Rueben, this is Bennette!
Wow, what a great site you have here. I will try some of them.
I still cook a lot of Chamorro style. My husband loves it but we are trying to lay off the rice as much of possible but you know it ain't Chamorro if you don't have rice with it.
Other than the glasses, you haven't changed bit.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Bennette

Rueben said...

Great hearing from you Bennette!!! It has been awhile. Gained a few pounds and yes, those are reading glasses. It happens. HeHe.
I agree with you, gotta have that rice.
Well I am glad you are enjoying my site. My other blog is BBQGuam @ http://bbqguam.blogspot.com/
This is all about Guam BBQ.
Give my regards to your Hubby for me.
We will keep in touch.
Rueben
Rueben