Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Anyone for Dessert??? How about some Fried Banana (Madoya)??


Fried bananas, or as they are called on Guam, Madoya (the "y" is pronounced like a "j"), are one of the delicacies of Guam. It is a battered half slice of banana fried to perfection and typically served with butter. But you can sprinkle a little brown sugar with cinnamon if you like to add a little more sweetness. However, most Guam households just use plain butter, just like one would with toast.

Here is the recipe....

Batter mix for madoya
½ cup all purpose flour 
¾ cup water 
¼-⅓ cup sugar 
Mix ingredients together until creamy similar to pancake batter. 

Directions 
  • Banana must be firm (when skin is just turning from green to yellow). And you should use the cooking bananas, like plantains. If you do not have these types of bananas at your local grocer, then you can use the sweet ones like "Chiquita" but make sure they are not ripe.
  • Peel the banana. 
  • Slice the banana in half. 
  • Dip in batter and let the batter drip for a few seconds. 
  • Fry in oil at about 375° until golden brown. 
  • Lift banana out of oil and let it drip for a few seconds. 
  • Place in colander upright and allow to drain. 
  • Serve hot with butter.

And here are photos of all the steps...

Cut the tips off the bananas.

Peel the banana.

Slice the banana in half...very carefully!!!

Now you have your slices of banana.

Coat well with your batter mix.

Place the battered banana slices one at a time in the hot oil. Oil should be about 375 degrees F.

Fried one side then.......

Turn them over and fry the other side.

Fry them until they are golden brown.

Lift from the hot oil and let them drip for a few seconds.

Place them in a colander and allow the oil to drain for a couple of minutes. 

Here you have the finished product. But before you start eating them, pat them dry with a paper towel.

Spread your butter and start in.

And that's all there is to this.

Let me warn you, once you start spreading that butter on these nice and hot, freshly fried banana slices, its hard to stop eating them. You will find that they go down like potato chips. You actually have to force yourself to stop.

I hope you enjoy this little spice of life from Guam. And I would be remiss if I did not thank my lovely wife, Lupe, for sharing this recipe with you all. So Thank You my dear.

Until next time....

7 comments:

cowgirl said...

Thank you Rueben and Lupe! They look wonderful.. I'm adding this to my "must-try" list! :)

Rueben said...

Thanks Cowgirl. You're very welcome. These are such a great snack and they are something different. You can dress them up if you like with an array of sweeteners or sauces and cremes.

I know your "must try" list is long, but I do hope you can give these a try.

Thanks for the comment.

CuddlyBunny said...

Thanks to you and Lupe! I'll be trying this one tomorrow!

Rueben said...

CuddlyBunny, thanks so much for your comment. My wife Lupe and I appreciate it. Butter is the typical condiment with this recipe but I am sure you may want to dip the Madoya in jams or preserves, syrups, etc. The sky is the limit for culinary enjoyment. Visit our recipe page at BBQGuam.blogspot.com for more of our island recipes.
Hope to hear from you again.
Love your profile pic BTW.

CuddlyBunny said...

Hello again Rueben! I'm only dropping in to let you know that we finally got to try this recipe, and I've posted about our delicious experience!

We loved it in the end ... after ditching the attempt with plantains! :)

http://nosparemoments.blogspot.com/2012/01/our-vote-goes-to-green-bananas.html

Emilia Barcilisa said...

Hafa Adai .. thanks for sharing your wonderful step by step instructions on How to make Madoya.. I tried making some this a.m., but realized I was missing an ingredient .. hope you don't mind, but I shared your blog on my FB as my photos didn't do our "very delicious" dessert any justice, and yours looked very appetizing .. had me salivating just looking at the photos while reading the directions .. thanks for your passion in cooking our dilectable foods & for sharing .. Sinseramente, Si Ms. Em

Rueben said...

Melia, I am glad you were able to try out this very simple and delicious recipe. I so appreciate all your kind remarks.

Please do share with whomever you like. :)