Friday, June 10, 2011

Spare Ribs Adobo- Lupe's Style

I love spare ribs adobo and my wife Lupe does a fantastic job of cooking it. She has her own twist on this island favorite by adding a potato and tomato sauce. All I can say is you have just got to try this out. You won't regret it.

Here is the recipe....

Spare Ribs Adobo

Ingredients

  1. 1 rack of spare ribs cut into 3 inch pieces.
  2. 1 cup soy sauce (Kikkoman).
  3. 1 cup apple cider vinegar.
  4. ½ medium onion, diced.
  5. 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
  6. ½ to 1 tsp ground black pepper.
  7. 3 bay leaves.
  8. 2 to 3 tbsp of olive oil or just enough to cover the bottom of the pot.
  9. 1 large potato cubed cut into ½ inch cubes (optional).
  10. 1 small can of tomato sauce (optional).

Directions

  1. Cut up, rinse and drain the spare ribs
  2. Cut the onions and garlic
  3. Heat oil in pot over medium heat.
  4. Sauté the onions and garlic.
  5. Add the spare ribs, turn heat to high and brown the spare ribs.
  6. With the heat remaining on high add the rest of the ingredients except the optional items.
  7. Crumble up the dried bay leaves when adding.
  8. Cook about 20 minutes, then add the cubed potato and tomato sauce at this time if you are going to use them.
  9. Cook another 10 minutes until the potatoes are cooked but not disintegrating.
The spare ribs should be cooked but not falling off the bone. Just firm enough to stay on the bone.

Serve with lemon finadene
http://guamfirehousecook.blogspot.com/2011/05/lemon-finadene-guam-bbq-dipping-sauce.html and white Jasmine rice.

Try this recipe with and without the optional items. It is really great tasting either way.

I hope you enjoy.

Until next time....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds very good. I would leave the bay leaves whole, and then remove them before serving.

Rueben said...

Anonymous, would like to thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your comment.

I used to always leave bay leaves whole way back when. But I stopped that practice a long time ago and started to crumple them for a number of reasons.

One, when you crumble them, they impart their flavor into your dish more efficiently than if left whole. At least that is my experience.

But the most important reason why I crumbled up bay leaves and eat them is because of the many medicinal and health benefits bay leaves are reported to possess. Here is one web site that explains why bay leaves are important:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/480381-what-are-the-health-benefits-of-bay-leaves/

There is quite a bit of info. But bottom line is that I like bay leaf and choose to crumble them up when I use them in my dishes.

I understand your recommendation and I thank you for it. My mother stills does it just like you. Especially in her spaghetti. I can still taste the bay leaf flavor and it is very good.

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Hope you come back for another visit.

-Rueben- (:{