Friday, August 5, 2011

Mean Wings aka 7-Alarm Hot Wings

Everyone loves hot wings. And I am no exception. Whenever we have a fire department fundraiser, I like to take my "Mean Wings" or also known as "7-Alarm Hot Wings". I will make the 7-Alarm Hot Wings extra hot so that everyone drinks more to douse the flames. We make a little extra per drink at our fundraisers at the local pubs so everyone is happy......literally!!!!

Anyway, we just happened to have another firefighter fundraiser yesterday at a local watering hole named "Ralphy's" located in Hagatna, Guam. Had a great time and the event was very successful.

Here are some pictures of the Mean Wing process....

These wings have been dusted with my Wing Dust and I am tossing them very thoroughly to make sure that they are all coated very well.

My Wing Dust made fresh as needed.

I use Frank's Hot Pepper Sauce. Great flavor!!!

Melted one cube of butter and added 1/2 cup of Frank's Hot Sauce and 2 tbsp of my Wing Dust for my marinade sauce.

I spoon out all the wings into a plastic zip lock bag, pour in the marinade sauce, toss it all around and refrigerated until about 1 hour before I start my cooking. In this case I baked them.

Here is one tray all ready to go into the oven. I cooked two trays total. 400 F for about 1 hour. Of course this may be adjusted as all ovens have a mind of their own.

Here are the wings after about 1/2 hour of baking. The last 1/2 hour I give the wings about 4 coats of my basting sauce. This adds color and more heat. You can spike up the heat in the basting sauce for extra "fire"!!

Unfortunately, those are all the pictures that I took. I was running behind schedule for the fundraiser and I was only able to taste the wings to test for doneness, this is my favorite part of cooking, pack them up and drive down to the fundraiser 1/2 hour away. But don't sweat the small stuff. Just make your own and get a bird's eye view.

Here is the actual recipe for the Mean Wings....

Mean Wings aka 7 Alarm Hot Wings (Depends of the pika/heat)

Marinade
5 lbs Chicken Wings
3 tbsp of Wing Dust
1 stick of salted butter melted
½ cup of Frank’s Hot Sauce

Basting Sauce
2 tbsp Wing Dust
2-3 tbsp of Finadene Denanche (Homemade fresh hot pepper paste)
1 stick of salted butter melted
½ cup of Frank’s Hot Sauce

Wing Dust
1 tbsp- Black Pepper
1 tbsp- Cayenne Pepper Powder
1 tbsp- Smoked Paprika Powder
1.5 tbsp- Sea Salt
1 tbsp- Chili Powder
1 tbsp- Onion Powder, Granulated
1 tbsp- Garlic Powder, Granulated

Hot Pepper Paste (Finadene’ Denanche)
½ cup of fresh hot peppers with stems removed
4-6 cloves of fresh garlic
1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
1 tsp of Santa Maria* seasoning
Place all ingredients into a Bullet blender and blend into a paste.
Adjust salt to your taste.

*Santa Maria Seasoning
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoons granulated garlic powder
1 tablespoon of Kosher Salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley, fine grind
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, medium grind
1/4 teaspoon Accent (MSG) (this is always optional)

Chop the parsley or crush it between your fingers to make it small enough to mix well with the other ingredients. Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. 

Directions for Mean Wings
Marinade the chicken wings in a large heavy duty zip lock plastic bag or bowl.
Toss the chicken well enough so that the wings are coated thoroughly and evenly.
Refrigerate and then remove  1 hour before cooking.
Let wings warm up to about room temp (1 hour).
Bake in the oven on ungreased cooking tray for about 1 hour at 400 degrees.
Baste with basting sauce numerous times to your liking. Coat them real good.
Remove when you like the color.
Of course I always taste test to verify doneness. (My favorite part!!!)

Special thanks to Firefighters Pete Perez and Jeff Soriano, Guam Fire Department, for supplying the name for this recipe.

Well, I hope you all can try this out. These wings are party friendly so you won't burn everyone out, but I just adjust the heat a bunch for true 7-Alarm Hot Wings.

Until next time....

No comments: