Sunday, July 22, 2012

Chamorro and Portobello Burgers


Well this past Wednesday (Wednesday's are burger night in our home) I decided to come up with a burger that justs shouts out, "This is Guam". Naturally I name the burger the "Chamorro" Burger. Chamorro is the name for the indigenous people of the Mariana's Islands. 

The challenge here was to use ingredients that are common to Guam and loved by all. So I came up with a burger that started out with locally made Pork Chamorro Sausage and served in between two pieces of the local "flour titiya". These are basically a 14-16 inch by 1/4 inch thick flour tortilla with a little sugar and coconut milk added in the dough.

So let me get started on how I brought this all together....

Bought about a pound and a half of Pork Chamorro Sausage. It is a special spicy blend available at most grocery stores here on Guam.

Next I mixed in my fresh herbs from the garden. 


Mint, Oregano, Cilantro flowers and hot pepper.

All the herbs and hot pepper plus one egg and freshly ground black pepper are in the food processor ready for mixing except we need one more item....

On heaping tablespoon of Finadenne Denanche, Guam's hot pepper paste. I don't want anyone falling asleep while they're eating their burger.

Blended all this in the food processor. Then I add about a cup of Japanese Bread Crumbs (Panko) for a binding element and mixed this all together in a large bowl.

Slap the patties on the grill and cook to your spec. Lupe likes her's well done and I like my patty medium.

This puppy is ready to come off the grill.

Also grilled some portobellos for my wife Lupe because she didn't want a bun. Guess what she used for buns???

This is what I used for my buns. Guam's local flour Tatiyas.

Here are Lupe's portobellos being served.

Here is Lupe's Chamorro Burger using the portobello mushrooms. And no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find two Portobellos the same size. Oh well, didn't bother Lupe one bit.

Here is my Chamorro Burger ready to be put together. It is served with Lupe's Garden Fresh Salad and home made Potato Skins.

I just had to take a break from taking all these pictures and bite my burger before I resumed my photo chores. Dang was this burger delicious and hot!!!

Lupes' Fresh Garden Salad. This is also what I used on my burger.

And here are the grilled Potato Skins.

Well, Lupe told me that this was the best burger she had ever eaten. She also told me that from now on she wants Portobellos on all her burgers. No more buns for her. As for me, the heat factor on the burger was great. Not a killer heat where I could not enjoy my burger, but enough heat that it drew a little sweat on my face and gave me the hiccups. That means it was delicious. 

All this with another one of Lupe's Garden Fresh Salads and those grilled Potato Skins. This went down in our burger book as the best so far. 

People!!!!!.........as my late Uncle Sal used to say, you have got to try this. You can always kick the heat factor up a bit by adding a few of those million plus scoville unit hot peppers into the mix. Up to you if you want to melt off all your hair follicles from the inside.

Whew!!!!! This was a gooder!!!!

Unit next time....

No comments: